Published: Sun, December 11, 2016
Technology | By Tonya May

Samsung will kill Note7s with software update soon (except on Verizon)

Samsung will kill Note7s with software update soon (except on Verizon)

This update will prevent the Galaxy Note 7 from charging, so that once the battery runs out, the handset effectively turns into a brick.

Verizon is no longer participating in Samsung's Android 7.0 Nougat beta program for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge; however, the carrier did hint the official rollout would hit its handsets in early 2017 instead.

It's hard to imagine anyone still carrying around a potentially explosive Samsung Galaxy Note 7 after the smartphone was recalled (twice), cancelled, and limited to 60 percent battery capacity.

It's still unclear if the company plans to take such actions on just US Cellular, keeping in mind that similar updates rolled out to other regions have gone across all cellular service providers.

And for those outside the United States this is a sign that similar measures could be arriving around the world too.

MLS PLAYOFF ROUNDUP Morris powers Seattle to Western Conference crown
But Seattle held strong in every single area of the match, reaching yet another milestone in heading to its first MLS Cup final. It was a 56th-minute Jordan Morris goal that sealed it, necessitating three more Rapids goals for the home team to advance.

Back in mid-October, reports circulated that more than one million phone owners had not yet handed in their devices, despite the fact that they had been banned on US flights and Samsung had offered to exchange them for other phones.

Previously readers here had expressed concern that they were struggling to return devices under certain circumstances.

Samsung told Reuters in a statement the ruling was a "victory for Samsung and for all those who promote creativity, innovation and fair competition in the marketplace". The update will be released on December 19 and will be distributed to all devices within 30 days. Such actions from the South Korean company highlights the fact that the company will roll out the update for every Note 7 user in the US.

While more than 93 percent of Galaxy Note 7 phones have been returned, according to Samsung, the remaining 7 percent still pose a serious fire risk. T-Mobile customers who still have a Note7 should immediately power down and stop using the device, and bring it back to a T-Mobile store for a full refund and a replacement device. In late October the company was rumored to add the color option to the Galaxy S7 Edge and released the handset in November on all major USA carriers. "We do not want to make it impossible to contact family, first responders or medical professionals in an emergency situation", said the company in a statement.

Like this: